Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Noam Ben-Zvi

I haven't written an in-depth post in a while on the latest news just for Noam.  And there is so much to share!  Noam has blossomed into an amazing little boy.  He is 4 years old now - going on 12.  Noam is a thinker.  He understands every morsel of what you say to him - and he analyzes and makes sense of it all in his own head.  He challenges the way that things are said - and the words that are used - so that it is expressed just the right way - that way that it makes the most sense.  And he is often right.  He uses words and expressions that are way beyond his age.  He told me the other night ' I would rather read this one first, and then this one second because that is what I would prefer'.  I wish I would write these things down - as my memory fails me and they are truly gems.  But I still LOVE that he shows his age when saying the color brown.  He is convinced that the word is 'brownd' and there is no convincing him otherwise.

Noam has an amazing memory.  Some kind of photographic something or other.  He learns the words to songs that he hears once or twice on the radio.  He seems to know all of them - even to hardcore rock songs that I cannot decipher.  Possibly he makes them up - but he sings with confidence - so I believe him.  He loves music and rocking out.  He also loves just singing sweet lullabies and other kid music.  His taste is wide reaching.

Noam loves telling jokes.  I recently purchased a joke book for him and he was thrilled.  He was nervous about the first day of school, and so I told him that if he saw other kids who looked nervous, that he could just tell them a joke and it would make them more comfortable.  He loved that idea and perked right up with it.  I think it made him feel good that he could do something to help others like that.  The favorite joke these days is 'Why did the Watermelon & Honeydew have a wedding?  Because they Canteloupe.'

The other night Noam interviewed Ari with the iphone.  He videotaped him and was asking his questions - just like a true journalist.  He had thoughtful ideas, and he responded appropriately based on Ari's answers.  He probed and was an 'active listener'.  for example, he asked Ari 'How do you play the game' and Ari told him 'I break the blocks'.  So Noam would say 'Oh - so you break the blocks.  Well - how do you do it exactly'.  And Ari would say' I press on it and it explodes', and then Noam would say 'Oh - so it explodes.  So - do you try to make a lot of them explode?'  It was just the cutest little interview - all caught on tape :)

Noam is a silly machine.  He is often over the top with his silliness - and he doesn't really know about silliness limits too well.  So he can go way overboard and tire us out.  But it is truly just because he is a ball of fun - and he loves to have a good time - and he wants everyone to think that he is funny.  He is a goofball - but can also be VERY serious.

Noam now seems to enjoy playing soccer.  Against my original thinking, we have signed him up again for soccer 'fall' season. It will be very interesting to see if he actually takes to it this season.  The 'spring' was a total mess - but he was young and it was only season 1.  So we are giving it another go.  Especially because he spent the summer practicing with his Aba & brother - and is actually quite good!  He does a great soccer dribble boogie!  He is also a great swimmer.  He can swim without a shell - and go back and forth across the pool.  Our backyard pool has been great for him - and he still LOVES to wear goggles!  In Cape Cod, Noam picked up the art of boogie boarding quite quickly - and he was not afraid to take his board out into the waves, paddling away - and float back to shore.  

Noam has been teaching himself to read.  He is super interested - and unfortunately we don't find enough time to just sit down with him and teach - and so he hasn't had too much opportunity.  But on his own he reads words - and asks me to tell him if he is reading them correctly - and he is doing a great job.  He is in the transitional kindergarten this year - I predict that with their help he will be fully reading by December.

Noam also has started voraciously drawing.  This is about the age that Ari's talent started to emerge - and Noam is clearly an artist in his own right.  He makes fanciful drawings - and his tongue darts around wildly as he concentrates on his pictures.  He has great use of color - and has been into drawing superheroes and cars (just like his brother taught him).  He enjoys being creative - and now sits quietly in the playroom and draws for a long time.  We recently bought some frames to show off his artwork in his room - and he was super proud of his creations!

Noam is still our hug-bug.  His hug grip is one to be reckoned with.  I have never felt hugs in the way that Noam offers them.  He just gives his full self - freely - and shows his love fiercely.  It is an amazing feeling to be a receiver of a Noam Ben-Zvi hug special.  Grandpa can attest to it - for he gets some of the best hugs around as well.  I hope it means that Noam will always be able to freely put his feelings out there.  He doesn't hold back - and it is a wonderful quality.  He is also very giving with the compliments.  The other day in the car he told me that I sounded just like the singer of the song.  My heart swelled.  And I put on a new sweater the other night - and was told - 'Mommy - that is a really pretty new dress '.  :)

Noam also has a beautiful little face.  His features are prominent and chiseled - with a gorgeous little smile that he is not stingy with.  I predict that he will be the talk of the town by some of the little girls.  But I don't think he notices too much.  Ari used to be more interested in the girls than Noam at his age.  Noam is a guys guy right now.  I never hear anything about any of the girls in his class from him.  He is just too busy.


We love watching Noam.  He is full of mischief and has a strong independent mind.  But he is a loving, sweet and happy boy, with a big heart (he always tells me how he misses granny and likes to talk to her).  He is my special baby boy - getting so big around every turn.  But with a heart that will melt any other!




No comments:

BZBees Fan Club